The lab glass reactor is necessary for chemical reactions, as some chemical reactions may be very violent and deadly. But what is a chemical glass reactor? How useful or applicable, is it? What are some of its characteristics? We shall answer these and many more questions shortly.
What is a Lab Glass Reactor
For a start, a glass reactor is a laboratory instrument, aiming at facilitating chemical reactions. It basically holds the reactants in place and also provides an environment that is conducive for such reactions. Being made of glass, these reactors are see-through and allow for easy monitoring of the progress thereof.
There are two main kinds of glass reactors. These are explained here below…
1. Batch Reactors
Batch reactors are so-called because they come in the form of beakers, flasks, and test tubes. Owing to this kind of stature or configuration, the batch reactors are the most popular. They have many different kinds of applications.
It is noteworthy that these reactors are smaller in size and can only handle small quantities of reactants. Also, they are not really strong enough to accommodate more powerful explosions such as those witnessed in more potent reactions. As such, they might not find that much applicability in industrial settings.
2. Continuous Reactors
Next comes in continuous glass reactors. As the name implies, this kind of reactor accepts the reactants on a rolling basis. This is to means that they allow the reactants to be poured into the reaction chamber continuously rather than all at once.
It is this kind of a reactor that finds applicability in industrial settings owing to its ability to handle larger volumes of reactants at a time. Nonetheless, it requires a fair degree of attentiveness on your part. Any errors or oversights may give rise to accidents and other undesirable repercussions.
Now you know the basics of the laboratory glass reactors. It is now wise of you to put this information to good use. That can only mean appreciating this laboratory equipment better. Of importance is the fact that you now have the insight to match the right apparatus with the correct task at hand.
The Specifications of WKIE Lab Glass Reactor
|Reactor Material||High quality borosilicate 3.3 glass|
|Support Frame Material||Stainless steel 304 and coated aluminum|
|Neck No. On Lid||5||6|
|Rotating speed(rpm)||0 ~ 600 (customizable)|
|Power supply||220V or 110V / 50-60HZ|
|Discharge||PTFE (Teflon) bottom discharge valve with no deadspace|
|Pressure Range||Full vacuum to atmosphere|
|Max jacket pressure||0.5 bar|
The Features of Lab Glass Reactor
- They are of different types with volumes of 500mL up to 200 liters to meet the user’s needs.
- They are different in heating and cooling liquids, for example, oil or water is ejected in the middle glass layer of the jacketed distillation reactor, this is important for the provision of constant temperature suitable for the reactions. As well it provides conducive conditions for the mixing inside the reactor.
- The glass stricture is transparent, which helps monitor the reactions until it is complete.
- The glass reactor is designed for the synthetic reactions of different types of materials in controlled temperatures and vacuum conditions.
- The reactor is designed for both single and multistage reaction and filtration in the very same vessel.
- The filter base of the reactor eliminates the transfer of materials and reduces material loss.
- The rotation speed is constant; there is no electric brush, no sparks, it is safe and very stable.
- The full glass set used is of high quality, borosilicate glass, which has both chemical, physical properties that do not influence reactions.
- The glass interlayer that is used for connecting to the oil and circulating can be connected to the heater to give heating reactions and as well can be connected to the refrigerating liquids to yield results of low temperature.
- It is designed in a way that it can enable reactions in normal temperature conditions by connecting it to the tap water.
- The discharging outlet has a flanged mouth and a valve, and there is no dead angle in it. This makes it convenient and detachable for discharging solid materials.
- Its main body is made from steel and is stainless, which makes it anticorrosive and beautiful.
- It is sealed by a PTFE component that makes it maintain a vacuum of a high standard. The stirring rod is anticorrosive, stainless and operates with perfect proficiency.
The Sizes of Lab Glass Reactor
Just like every other piece of laboratory equipment, the laboratory glass reactor also comes in many shapes and sizes. By knowing these various types, it is possible to appreciate this piece of equipment better and make the most of it.
We are going to peek into the two main sizes of the lab glass reactor hereunder.
1. Mini-Lab Glass Reactor
As its designation implies, this is a small kind of reactor. Its capacity is only small enough to handle and facilitate the minute kinds of reactions. Due to its sheer small size, this apparatus can tackle only those applications which do not require huge amounts of reactants.
Other than small-scale reactions, the mini-lab glass reactor also works only under normal pressure. It also has a host of parts and features which jointly up its performance. Among these are the digital display unit, mechanical sealing, structural stability, and constant temperature applicability.
Generally speaking, this apparatus can handle many kinds of simple reactions. Among these are the distillation, condensation, stirring, extractions, reactions, and separations. All these enable it to facilitate almost every other kind of chemical reaction. At the top of these is the synthesis and the biochemical.
-The Advantages of Mini Lab Glass Reactor
Several advantages accrue from the use of this reactor. Among these are the ability to work well without fidgeting or shaking, accurate temperature controls, ability to manage simultaneous reflux reactions, longer service life, and unconstrained chemical reactions. All these combine to make your own experience all the more awesome.
Accompanying the above advantages are the main distinct reaction chambers which expedite the chemical reactions. The heating bath, spherical tank, digital display temperature, frequency controls, universal joints, and the special stirring sealing cap are some of these. They further make the glass reactor better placed at handling the reactions of chemicals.
It is worth noting that many players manufacture these reactors. There is as such no universal set of characteristics and traits that a good reactor possesses. This being the case, it is in your best interest to pay keen attention to the many products that are available to be able to arrive at the best purchasing decision.
2. Pilot-Scale Lab Glass Reactor
The pilot-scale lab glass reactor, as its name implies, is more advanced and more extensive than the mini-lab glass reactor. Drawing from its more extensive and more complicated size, this kind of reactor is capable of facilitating many different types of reactions. It is also tough enough to resist the harshest impacts.
Its toughness also makes it better suited at handling the most aggressive chemicals with absolute levels of reliability. While at it, the reactor also stands tall to the risks of corrosion and contaminations from the metallic substances which might be available in the reactants.
To put this kind of reactor to use, you will have to acquire and incorporate the glass pressure vessels or the glass-lined steel pressure vessels. For stirring, you will have to use only the high torque ceramic magnetic stirrer for the job. That is because it stands tall to the elements of damages and corrosions perfectly.
It also mixes the ingredients thoroughly, not to mention facilitating the transfer of heat well. Unlike the mini-lab glass reactors, this one is packed with more safety features. All these are geared towards your own safety while in the laboratory. Examples of these are the modular setup, seamless adaptability, and thicker walls.
-The Applications of Pilot-Scale Lab Glass Reactor
You will find this piece of equipment suitable for those applications which are complicated and involve a huge amount of reactants. Though not really suited for full-scale industrial applications, this kind of appliance is nonetheless capable of tackling the more enormous scope of chemical reactions.
Like its mini lab glass reactor above, the pilot-scale lab glass reactor is also available in many shapes and sizes. It may not always be hence that any picked at random may yield the reliable services you need. It is for this reason that we yet again recommend that you carry out a thorough product comparison before settling for one.
Having done our part to reveal to you the two main sizes of the laboratory glass reactor, we are now confident that you have the skill necessary to make a good pick. And WKIE Lab is always committed to providing you with the best lab glass reactor. So, just decide the kind of purpose which you have in mind and your financial budget as a way forward. Best of luck in your search!