What Is An Educational Rotary Evaporator?
An educational rotary evaporator is a system used in chemical laboratories for efficient removal of solvents from the samples at low pressure by evaporation. It is also used in molecular cooking to prepare extracts and distillates. This system was invented by Lyman C. Craig and was first used by the Swiss company in pilot plants for chemical operations. The components of this system are;
- Motor unit- keeps the sample in motion by rotating the evaporating flask.
- Heating pot – used to heat the sample.
- Vapor duct – this is the axis for sample rotation.
- Vacuum system – used to reduce pressure inside the evaporator system.
- Condenser – contains a coil into which a coolant pass thus facilitating condensation.
- Collecting flask – used to collect the distilling solvent.
The most common and convenient application of this system is the separation of low boiling points solvents from solid samples at room temperature and pressure. However, if there is a minimal co-evaporation separation of solvents from a liquid sample is achieved. This system functions by lowering the pressure of bulk liquid thus lowering the boiling points of the sample for instance, in natural product isolation.
There are advantages of using this system in extraction and distillation as it suppresses bumping, this is the tendency of solvents with high boiling points to accentuate. It also results in the formation of a warm thin film that spread over the surface this is due to frictional and centrifugal force between the rotating flask and the wall.
WKIE LAB Educational Rotary Evaporator
Since the construction, we are always committed to providing customers with the most satisfying equipment. Until now, we have built durable cooperation with organizations and universities with over 70 countries. Almost all customers who have tried WKIE LAB equipment praised WKIE LAB’s warm service and excellent products.
Thus, if you are interested in WKIE LAB educational rotary evaporator, don’t hesitate, just send us an inquiry, and you will accept the best service and products from us.
The Specifications of WKIE Lab Rotary Evaporators
|Bath Lift||Motor Lift||Hand Lift|
|Condenser||Glassware: Vertical with dual-spiral glass tubing|
|Flask Rotation Speed||0-120rpm||0-110rpm|
|Vacuum Degree(Ultimate Pressure)||20mbar|
|Temp. Control||PID from main heater, ON/OFF Control|
|Safety||Over-temp and fuse protections|
|Glass Material||High borosilicate glass 3.3|
|Power Source||220V 1ph, 50HZ(Customized: 110V)|
The Sizes of Educational Rotary Evaporator.
1. 2L educational rotary evaporator.
This is a 2L series rotary evaporator that consists of vertical glassware, modular heating bath, and automatic temperature control. It is designed to allow quick heating due to the optimized bath volume. The condenser unit also consists of specially designed glass tubes to increase the surface area for maximum condensation. This type of rotary evaporator also consists of safety features like fuse protection, dry-run protection, and water bath over-heating control.
2. 5L educational rotary evaporator
This is a common chemistry laboratory equipment used for the continuous distillation of volatile solvents in large numbers under low pressure. In this apparatus, the condenser is used to connect the distillation flask and the receiving flask which collects the evaporated solvents.
This 5L rotary evaporator is applied in chemical engineering, medicine industries for drying, solvent recovery, concentration, separation, and purification especially to substances that easily decompose at high temperatures.
3. 10L educational rotary evaporator
This is a type of evaporator with a 10L capacity rotary bottle and a 5L capacity receiving bottle. The rotary bottle of this evaporator is equipped with a double condenser thus making it have a high recovery rate and also to have a higher condensation effect. It works using the motor to rotate the rotary flask at a constant speed, this makes the substances to occupy a large space of a thin film. Then the water bath with a constant temperature is used to heat the rotary flask leading to a high evaporation rate under the vacuum condition.
The 10L rotary evaporator has a spacious capacity that would hold sample sizes that are large enough and beyond the limit of other ordinary evaporators. It also has a motorized water bath lifting system, this system allows you to monitor the controls. It minimizes errors that may occur during application thereby ensuring a smooth operation.
Digitalized speed and a temperature display, this feature in the 10L rotary evaporator allows for straight forward and easy visual operation. With these features present any chance of misinterpretation which may arise is prevented. The 10L rotovap has a proportional integral differential temperature controller that ensures the accurate temperature is maintained. Good mobility. This apparatus possesses a stronger swivel caster which is used for turning it around.
4. 20L educational rotary evaporator
This is a type of evaporation machine used to remove a solvent from a sample that is required to be used in the universities, chemistry and modern organic laboratories. It is an ideal instrument for drying, recycling, and concentration because of the presence of a vacuum controller, vacuum pump, and lid for the water bath thus, increasing the rate of evaporation by 15%. It is a highly efficient type of evaporator, easy and safe to use. This apparatus is also equipped with a condenser of different operation needs, PTFE sleeve, joint lock, lid, lift heating bath, anti-corrosion, and a sealing system that is wearable.
This apparatus has its own distinct features. The 20L rotovap is transparent, giving the user a good visual to track the progress of the reactions as they occur. The 20L rotary evaporator is very spacious due to its 20 liters capacity. This capacity is very useful to tackle large volumes of samples. One is able to experiment volumes that cannot fit in small apparatus.
The 20L rotary evaporator has been made to be heat resistant allowing the apparatus to handle spontaneous reactions easily. The apparatuses cannot shatter hence the user is safe. Apart from being heat resistant, the 20L apparatus is more powerful due to the strong materials used by the manufacturer to assemble it.
The Applications of Educational Rotary Evaporator.
1. Applications of the Rotatory Evaporator in the Laboratories.
The device is applicable in the medical and biological fields. Being able to handle heat-sensitive procedures, thus can be used with biological samples which are denatured by extreme temperatures. The device can also be used to carry out molecular cooking together with molecular gastronomy.
Another important application for the rotary evaporator is the removal of solvent samples. This procedure works through the evaporation process. This happens when the rotary evaporator is used in molecular cooking with an aim of extraction together with distillation.
2. Educational and informational.
The rotatory evaporator has been used on various occasions for educational purposes and informational inquiries. Examples of these are information on chemicals and environmental purposes.
Due to these, a rotary evaporator can be found in schools, medical laboratories as well as museums and also other facilities dealing with heavy machinery.
3. Applications in industries.
– Sample preparations.
There are scenarios where the samples required should be highly concentrated. The rotary evaporator comes to the rescue. It extracts excess solvent to leave behind a high concentration of solute.
– Drying powders.
Rotary evaporators can be used to dry powders. For this to happen they have to be attached to a test tube adapter. This approach does not involve complicated procedures hence a simple and effective method.
– Flavor extractions.
The Rotary Evaporator can be used in industries to extract flavors. The tool is again very reliable since it does not result in loss of flavor during extraction. These flavors are used in preparations for drinks and foods.
– Solvent removal, separation, and recycling.
In procedures involving removing, recycling and separating solvents the rotary evaporator removes the excess solvent from a solution. It is also used for the separation of solutions affected by high temperatures.
4. Pharmaceutical industries.
The rotatory evaporator is mainly used in the pharmaceutical industries to carry most analytical, extraction, and processing procedures. The apparatus can be used to mix ingredients that would be rendered almost impossible to mix using ordinary kinds of mixing apparatus. Due to this, the apparatus proves efficient in enhancing the efficacy of reactions.
How To Set Up An Educational Rotary Evaporator?
1. If your apparatus uses a water circulator connected to the condenser unit, then you should make sure that the reservoir contains ice.
2. Pre-weigh a bottomed round flask, and then add your solution up to a height that is less than half full.
3. Then connect the round-bottomed flask to the evaporator using a plastic clip at the bump trap. A bump trap prevents solutions capable of foaming or splashing from moving into the receiving flask.
4. Then lower the flask into the water bath using the joystick knob on the apparatus. Make sure that the plastic clip and joint are not in the water.
5. The next step involves turning on the vacuum machine. It can be simply a vacuum pump or a water aspirator. A hissing sound is produced as air is being pulled at the stopcock.
6. Turn on the rotation notch. This begins the rotation of the round-bottomed flask. Adjust the notch to achieve a median rate of rotation or to one-third of the maximum rotation speed. The average speed is approximately 110 rpm.
7. Close the evaporator stopcock by connecting it to the bleed valve. The hissing sound reduces as well as the inside apparatus pressure.
8. Wait for evaporation to take place, usually, there is no fixed time for evaporation to take place.
9. When the evaporation seems complete, allow the system to continue for a few minutes to remove any remaining solvent.
10. Your process is now complete. Stop the rotary evaporator by reversing all the processes. Switching off the vacuum source, stopping the rotation among others.
An education rotary evaporator is an important apparatus for most analytical, extraction, processing, and production procedures. It plays an important role in the separation of solvents and solutes thereby enhancing analysis, extraction, and production.